Tuesday, May 11, 2010

In the Garden

Ever since we've had a house, I've enjoyed planting flowers each spring. I don't profess to have a green thumb, but I have had some random successes in past years. I do listen to the "Garden Show" on the radio, read books on proper landscaping, & mostly look at lawns in my neighborhood to copy what works. My biggest problem is that I learn best by watching & imitating others, so the books haven't helped too much and I haven't found anyone who wants to mentor me in my gardening skills!!

Impatiens have always been one of my favorite annual flowers. I planted them every year in NJ. They always did OK. One year they were spectacular---ONE YEAR---out of 15 that I planted them. Why?? Nothing I did--it rained alot that summer. Moving to a new climate has posed some challenges. I've had to learn what will grow best in this area and I'm definitely still experimenting. Three summers ago I planted impatiens and they grew over 3' tall. People walking past our house would stop to admire them. The past two summers, they did nothing!! Again, a deluge of rain that fruitful summer may have been the key. This year, I'm trying out a new variety called "Sunpatiens". We'll see how they do. I love that I can have more tropical flowering plants like the Hibiscus--one of my favs!! Our Texas winter this year was very harsh, so I've had to start over with a few plants. Here are some pictures of the work I did this past weekend pruning and planting.

The Queen Palms looked terrible after the winter and I thought they may have died. I just noticed some green coming back to life so --chop-chop--I know they look silly now, but in a few weeks I think they'll be looking pretty good!



After the "hair cut"

Lantana in full bloom, waiting for the butterflies to swarm around them


Here are the new "Sunpatiens". We'll check back in a month and see how they're doing.

On the back patio, some new flowers I'm trying







I bought a new Hibiscus, then noticed my old one had little green leaves at the bottom. I planted this one near it, hoping they can grow together.



Magnolia tree in full bloom, beautiful & fragrant!!




I've had bad luck in the past with flowers planted at Mary's feet. This year I'm trying Zinnia--it's a very sunny area.




I hope to post pictures later on to show how much everything is thriving. Wish me luck!!!



1 comment:

Linda said...

Sure looks better than it did after the Hurricane! My magnolia has never bloomed. The tree is gorgeous, but I don't think it's getting enough sun.
Thanks for the picts!